Tuesday, September 19, 2006

The Crops in the Bin 2

My straw poll continues with some crops Southwest Manitoba farms make a little more on (sometimes). Uh! and flax to:

  • FLAX - Got nailed with the heat. It goes in late (end of May this year) and suffered the heat badly. Yields were in the 15 bu to 35 plus bu per acre. Average might hit 20 bu. I scouted the 35 bu field , real beauty. (I'll post data on the field ?). Nobody I scout for had aphids at ecomonic thresholds. A few fields I didn't scout had aphid damage. Real bad math here - 19 bu X $6.00 = $114.00 add a few bucks for the straw if you can sell it. Still that is ZERO margin (minus $50/ac likely)

  • Low-Trans Fat Canola - Mostly Nexara Canola. Yields from 25 bu. to low 30 bu/acre. Ave less than 30 likely 28 bu/ac. (?). No reports of green count. Growers know better how to produce this canola and it was a good year for low green. Math includes that good premium - 28 bu X $7.50 = $210. Good margin over $40/acre. Nex 828 and Nex 830 both performed well. I think 830 might be a good option for next year with it's touted low green counts. We will see?

I will continue this next post. Gotta go