Wednesday, March 14, 2007

Farm Security: Keeping the homestead and your stuff safe: Real "Homeland Security"




The post is about increased theft on the farm. The perception is that this is an increasing problem in rural areas. Our retail now has a 6 foot locked fence around the entire yard, something that 10 yrs ago would be unheard of. I often hear stories of theft. We are not as bad as nearer to urban centre but still it's a concern.


I'm curious about stats on this kind of crime. Certainly the police (RCMP) presence is not as great as a few years ago. At one time every town had one or two RCMP's, now most are patrolled by police based in secondary service centres (larger towns). When I was a boy 40 some years ago my home town even had an actual town policeman along with RCMP's.


Browse the article. The remote area security seem a little bit of overkill, but some of the ideas and information could help in making things more secure.


Progressive Farmer ( the articles source) seems aimed at small holdings? I don't know? I'm going to have a look at it a bit more.