Thursday, March 29, 2007

Stripe Rust Coming In 2007(?)

I took these last year in a field of Mackenzie wheat. We did not use a fungicide for control, the infestation was not serious enough. Click on them for a better look

I found stripe rust in wheat fields in my area last year. Well over 2000 acres worth. It appeared along with leaf rust, but appeared to move slower than leaf rust. I saw it on a few different varieties of hard wheat. I can't say all the varieties off the top of my head, but some were rated well for leaf rust resistance. The stripe rust moved slowly in these cases. It was hardly a scientific survey, but I am sure it was stripe rust. I sent pics for conformation.




Saskatoon Homepage.ca - Its All About Your Community. - Sask Farmers Should Check Wheat Crops for Stripe Rust in 2007