Tuesday, September 19, 2006

Crops in the Bin edit

My math on canola from the Sept 18 post needs an update

  • Canola - Grower should/could/will ave $6.50 per bu.. A $.50 bump from previous post.
  • Canola - Math on canola should be - 28 bu X $6.50/bu = $182 per acre. A $15 margin, maybe a touch more?

Three reasons for the change

  1. I had lunch with one of my clients. I respect his marketing knowledge and his calls (strategy?) moving his grain. Steve thinks $6.50 is possible for an ave, maybe $7.00, for regular canola. He grew all Nexara or Intermountain. so it's harder for him to take advantage of the higher prices (My treat)
  2. With commodity prices dropping (gold, oil, copper, others) Our dollar will drop (has dropped). $1us = $1.1178 loonie today. That adds a few more pennies.
  3. Have you looked at a canola commondity chart lately. I've lost enough on the stock market to know a market bottom.