Sunday, February 18, 2007

Malt Barley Premiun Really Stinks; Well they don't really exist this year do they


The Truth about Marketing Choice: Where are the premiums?

I'm not big on putting any thing political on Field Scout, but of course here is something. The posted Blog is Dave Anderson's ( a conservative MP who looks like a CWB opponent) I wanted to post it to get a take on the feed and malt barley situation.

Price for malt barley is bad compared to feed. This is a short term situation, due to unforeseen factors in the market. I'm posting a few items just to address it.

My understanding is because of shortages in barley and corn, feed barley is at a premium ($3.50/bu or so). CWB is lagging in price on malt and CWB opponents are making much of this. I would be a lot ticked to if my malt will gross $2.50 or so and my nieghbour is getting $3 plus with a lot less hassle for feed barley. That is the contract however and if I was a malting company I would do the same.

This situation will not continue. malt barley has to go at a premium or there will not be much grown.

It is an interesting point ( I've heard) that CWB prices for malt always lag the rest of North America. I intend to look at that and see if it is true. I know two years ago one of my producers recieved $5 a bu for malt barley on a special contract .