Wednesday, July 25, 2007

$9 per bu. Canola

I just sold 1/3 of my estimated canola production ( a little short of it really) I felt 30 bu/ac. was a conservative yield at this point, so I sold 10 bu/ac. at $9.06 per bu for July delivery. That will cover my cash cost of growing the crop and I'm pretty sure we will get enough canola to cover that. I don't mind delivery a year away, we have cash in the bank and we will move our wheat and barley this year. Plus I still have an est. 20 more bu to move and price. I will make no more moves till I see what I have in bin. I may the rest in thirds or let it all go.

As I've mentioned before all our 06 production sold at $8.50 bu and the elevator tells me Aug delivery (?)

Other marketing news, we sold our hay for 1.5 cents a lb (the going rate I hear for hay?) I hope that nets us $3500 plus. If we can get that by the end of next month we will have a little coin in the bank to keep thinks going.

A little more marketing. I've been thinking about our barley we grew Metcalf for malt, but we will not produce enough to fill a car. I remember from my farm days that you needed enough to fill a car to get a malt accepted.(3500 bu plus I recall?) I going to have to market this stuff as feed. Still I hope to net over $7000. I can move it locally as feed maybe?

If our fill crop is ok we could gross over $25,000 off it. Likely more! That should keep us over the winter till we get funds for 2007 projects.Plus over the winter industry plots we did this year will be paid to us. Hopefully we can put a bit of coin aside for a rainy day

Sorry that ended being bit of a ramble. But hey $9 a bu for canola is pretty cool.