Sunday, July 22, 2007

bugs and fungus on my wheat

I pulled the trigger last Wednesday night on spraying the farms Imagine wheat. I had a neighbour come in with his "high boy" Apache to apply both Bumper and Lorsban. I have never used or recommented that tank mix before but conditions made it my choice.


On monday morning our wheat was just starting to head. out. (Mainstem but some tillers) It was foggy with the heads soaking wet ( in my mind perfect for scab) I have seen fusarium really destroy quality so I had to go.

Midge were a different story. I talked to a agronomist from Sask. Ag on tuesday. She warned me Wheat Midge would be a potential problem. I know last year I had a couple of producers have midge damage. I looked for them on a couple of evening, but only found limited numbers. I made the call to go but I really think it was a borderline risk at best.

I'm thinking like a producer, as an agronomist I never would have gone after the midge with out really establishing a potential problem. As producer I was spending the money on an application any way why not spend $3.50 more to control midge?

As a note we used 16 gal of water and we used a combo of Bumper 418ec with Tilt 250ec to top up the application. (Full rate)