Saturday, July 28, 2007

Farm Subsidies Seem Immune to an Overhaul - New York Times

You have to note not a farmer hat in the bunch!



US farm subsidies are so ingrained in the system they may never be removed;


My takeaway points from the article:


  • Food stamps etc are part of the subsidy programs, real smart on the supporters of these programs

  • The White House is against subsidies and it is shrugged off. In our system (Canada) the PMO would bury this so deep it would never again see the light of day. Kind of speaks to maybe a few more checks and balances on the PMO

  • I did not realize the power a few congressmen have. I knew a senator with the two per state system could hold a lot of power, but I did not understand the scope of power a group of congressmen could have.

  • It is only 5 billion dollars. I think that only about a month of Iraq's costs. ( I will have to check that)