Sunday, August 26, 2007

Head Blight In my wheat

Resistance Definition
Resistance may be defined as ‘a heritable change in the sensitivity of a pest population that is reflected in the repeated failure of a product to achieve the expected level of control when used according to the label recommendation for that pest species’. Cross-resistance occurs when resistance to one insecticide confers resistance to another insecticide, even where the insect has not been exposed to the latter product. Clearly, because pest insect populations are usually large in size and they breed quickly, there is always a risk that insecticide resistance may evolve, especially when insecticides are misused or over-used.

I applied fungicide to my Imagine wheat this summer to try and cut down the fussarium risk. I used "Bumper" amd "Tilt" mixed together with some Lorsban to control wheat midge. I had the control right at mid flower and used 16 gal per acre of h2o. Control really really stinks. I wish I had left a check. This sucks! I know that I will have little "DOM" fungus and the crop may even yield 35 plus, but I know we lost 5 or 6 bu. to head blight. And as an added bonus this stuff has zero chance of being graded any higher than a 3.

I will be working on fungus resistance the next couple of years for sure.